Updated April 12, 2017
For the third straight year, activists in Maryland defeated anti-BDS legislation. Congratulations to the Freedom to Boycott in Marlyand coalition for this victory!
In 2017, anti-BDS legislation was introduced and defeated in Maryland. SB 739 and HB 949 would create a blacklist of individuals, organizations, and companies that participate in boycotts of Israel and "territories controlled by Israel," and prohibit the state from investing in blacklisted entities. These bills also prohibit those who participate in boycotts of Israel and "territories controlled by Israel" from contracting with the state.
Please follow Freedom to Boycott in Maryland for updated information.
For more info:
- Legal Letter by Bill of Rights Defense Committee/Defending Dissent Foundation, Palestine Legal, Center for Constitutional Rights, and others.
- Baltimore Sun: Bill brings Middle East boycott conflict to Annapolis, Feb. 9, 2017
- Read the bills: SB 739 and HB 949
In 2016, Freedom to Boycott in Maryland successfully defeated anti-BDS legislation in Maryland . For more information, please visit:
- Freedom to Boycott in Maryland, a coalition of groups and individuals advocating for free speech rights in Maryland in support of BDS.
- Mondoweiss: "Maryland coalition defeats anti-BDS bill in State Assembly," April 26, 2016