Job posting is also available at http://www.idealist.org/view/job/hWxtDPkjxFCp.
Palestine Solidarity Legal Support (PSLS) protects and advances the constitutional rights of Palestine activists across the U.S. by providing advice, representation, referrals, legal rights materials and advocacy support. With a network of legal and advocacy partners, we aim to build the power of activists to withstand the concerted assault on free speech and continue advocating for Palestinian human rights.
PSLS seeks a full time (30-40 hour/ week) Staff Attorney to contribute to PSLS' direct representation and advocacy work. She/he/they will advise and advocate for clients, will supervise interns, volunteers and other staff, and will coordinate efforts to build PSLS' attorney and advocacy network. The position will also require work on a range of other project activities, including conducting Know Your Rights trainings, and development and communications work. She/he/they will report directly to the Project Director.
The strong preference is for the Staff Attorney to be located in PSLS' Chicago office.
The Staff Attorney is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Engage in direct representation & advocacy with clients, and work on broader advocacy campaigns, in coordination with legal team.
- Participate in developing legal, advocacy and litigation strategies.
- Coordinate attorney and organizational outreach and facilitate legal professional gatherings and activist trainings on project issues.
- Supervise interns, volunteers and partner attorneys
- Participate in project planning process
- Communicate with the media about project work
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to project communications, including website updates, social media, and other media opportunities.
- Report to grantors and donors regarding relevant activities, as necessary.
- Assist with other project areas, including development and communications, as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2-7 years of experience working in a relevant area of the law (First Amendment, national security, civil rights, criminal law, etc.), and preferably working with clients and doing intakes.
- 1-2 years of experience coordinating and supervising the work of other attorneys, law students and interns.
- 1-2 years of experience preferred developing legal education curricula or planning, implementing and/or facilitating legal events, including CLEs, legal seminars, Know Your Rights trainings, or classes, networking events, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Familiarity with the legal repression that Palestinian rights activists face in the U.S. and understanding of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict in general.
- Strong commitment to the mission of PSLS, and to building a healthy, sustainable organization.
- Knowledge of relevant legal issues (First Amendment, students' rights, national security, etc.).
- Strong relationships with diverse legal communities and colleagues.
- Ability to connect with activist communities, build trust and maintain relationships.
- Excellent public speaking skills with diverse audiences and with the media.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively, multi-task, set priorities and meet required deadlines.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative at problem-solving.
- Arabic language skills a plus.
Significant travel is required within the U.S., via plane or other means of transportation, up to 15 times a year. Some lifting may be required (e.g. carrying luggage, computers, resources for audiences, etc., up to 50 pounds on occasion). Candidate must be able to sit for long periods of time and type on a computer and must be able to communicate frequently by phone and electronically.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This is a full time position. The beginning salary is $50,000-60,000 annually, based on experience, plus benefits.
Please email a resume, legal writing sample (3-5 pages) and cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how you think you can contribute to PSLS' mission over the next 2-4 years to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line "Staff Attorney Application." Applications will be reviewed until February 23, or until position is filled. The projected start date is March, 2015.
Palestine Solidarity Legal Support, a project of Tides Center, is an "at-will" and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.